FAQs on Sponsorship Program

I want to sponsor a child. How do I begin the process of sponsoring a child?

Starting a sponsorship is easy – simply email or call 406 461 8745. You can also do an online subscription at:

How much time will it take for me to get the bio data and photo?

It depends on whether TCEF has on file a child that matches your request. If we do, we will send it right away. But sometimes, we may have to request a case history from one of our sponsorship partners in India. Then it may take a week or more. 

When do the sponsorships commence?

In the past we used to recommend sponsorship commence in January or July to coincide with school terms in India. Now sponsorships can commence at any time. 

What payment method options are available to sponsors?

Checks made in favor of Tibetan Children’s Education Foundation or TCEF and mailed to PO Box 1403, Helena, MT 59624 is our preferred payment method. Sponsors can also do a sponsorship subscription online using pay pal or from this site. Sponsors can also call or email us about using credit cards and we can also help set up an Automated Recurring Billing (ARB) using

What payment schedule options are available to sponsors?

Sponsors are free to choose payment schedules that work the best for them. Annual ($540) or half yearly ($270) work the best for us. But sponsors are free to opt for quarterly ( $135) or even monthly ($45) payment schedules.

Are the contributions tax deductible?

Yes, TCEF is a 501(c)(3) organization and all sponsorship contributions will receive our tax deductible receipt.

How much of sponsorship contributions go directly to the children or elders and how is the rest utilized?

Current TCEF sponsorship rate for students in $45 a month. Most sponsors now contribute through online subscriptions cost a little bit. For Kyitsel-ling students we sent $40 per month. For Sambhota students we send $35 per month. Elders’ sponsorship rate is $35 a month. We sent $30 directly to help them. Any remaining funds are used to immediately help students or elders who are without help. 

How does TCEF ensure that funds sent to sponsorship and project partners are utilized properly in a timely way? What reports do TCEF get back from sponsorship and other partners? 

Sponsorship partners in India send us periodic updates on all sponsored persons. We receive recent photos, copies of school report cards, updates on health and wellness of children.They also inform us if a student has to leave the program due to certain circumstances. TCEF in turn is able to pass on these information to our sponsors. 

For the elders too, we receive periodic updated photos and reports on their health and wellness. Typically elder sponsorship funds are disbursed twice a year, and following each disbursement, our sponsorship partner send us updates. 

Project partners keep us informed on implementations. They send us completion reports – complete with accompanying images.



The Government of India requires nonprofits receiving funds from abroad to procure special permission under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA). To maintain their FCRA status, organizations have to file quarterly and annual reports to the Government with proper utilization evidence. These reports ensure that funds received from oversees are spent in a timely manner for the purpose(s) it was originally intended for. For funders, these mandatory filings and audits from the GOI provide an additional layer of protection to ensure proper and timely use of funds. 


Can I write to my sponsored child?

Yes! Your sponsored child/children will love to hear from you. Most TCEF sponsorships are coordinated through Kyitsel-ling Tibetan Children’s Education Center, India. You can write to your sponsored child at the following address:

Name of your child
c/o Kyitsel-ling Tibetan Children’s Education Center
G 179 Tibetan Colony
PO Clement Town
Dehra Dun (UK) India 248002

If you sponsor a child through the Sambhota Tibetan Schools, Dharamsala,you can write at this address:

Name of Child
c/o Sponsorship Coordinator
Sambhota Tibetan Schools Society
Sherab Gatsel Lobling (TTS)
PO Khanyara Road, Dharamsala
Distt.Kangra (HP)
India 176218

You can also mail your letters to TCEF, PO Box 1403, Helena, MT 59624 and we will gladly forward your letters to India.

Will my sponsored child understand my letters? Will he/she be able to write back to me?

The medium of instruction in Tibetan schools in exile is Tibetan till class V. Till this grade English is studied as a second language. So children in lower grades know only a little English. But there will always be others to help translate letters – a sponsorship secretary, teachers, older children. Your sponsored child will write to you at least twice a year: around Christmas and in the summer. If he/she is in the lower classes, they may not be able to write much in English but they will send you wonderful drawings and a few sentences. From class VI onwards, the medium of instruction is English and children can write longer and more meaningful letters.

Can I send a parcel to my sponsored child?

Yes, they’ll love that even more. Our experience suggests that Registered Parcels stand a much better chance of safe delivery. Also, be sure to declare it as a ‘Gift’ on the customs form so that your sponsored child does not have to pay customs at his or her end.

What can I send him or her? What do Tibetan children in India like?

Like children anywhere, a Tibetan child will be thrilled with whatever you send: toys/dolls, clothes, school supplies etc. A lot depends on what you want to send them. Our suggestions include soft dolls, toys and sports items. The advantage of these items over clothes is that all their friends can also share in the joy of your gift.

Do Tibetan girls get equal opportunities to study as boys?

Yes, very much so. According to the Current Status Report 1998 – a detailed study of Tibetan children’s education in exile, there were slightly more girls than boys in the Tibetan 90 odd Tibetan schools in exile. Kyitsel-ling also has more girls than boys!

What subjects do the children study?

Till class 5, Tibetan is the medium of instruction. Besides Tibetan language, they study English, Hindi, Mathematics, Social Studies and General Science. From class 6 onwards, English is the medium of instruction. In India they follow a system of school education popularly known as the 10+2 system. After class 10, children have two more years of high school where they can opt to major either in Arts, Commerce or Science. Besides core subjects, Tibetan Dance, Music & Drama, Computer Education and Physical Education are important parts of their curriculum.

What happens when children graduate from school? Are there opportunities for further studies?

The Tibetan Administration in exile and other Tibetan organizations offer a variety of scholarships that will enable many school graduates to pursue a college education in India. In some case, TCEF sponsors continue to support their children through college. TCEF has a fledgling college sponsorship program. For $1000 a year, you can support a deserving Tibetan child attend college in India.